The International Christian University (ICU) and Japan ICU Foundation are inviting youths from around the world to share their views on how to make society better.
Each year, essay topics are selected in the areas of human rights and current events. Apply to win great prizes, including the top prize of two round-trip tickets to Japan!
2023 Essay Questions
Essays must focus on one of this year’s topics.
- Every student who enrolls in ICU signs a pledge to support and abide by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The four points of Article 23 of the Declaration focus on the right to work. Based on your own experience, which of the four points, outlined in Article 23, has the most significance for you?
- ICU’s academic curriculum emphasizes the need to understand both humanities and technology as everyone lives in the era of artificial intelligence (AI) and the Internet of things (IoT). Over the past decade, everyone have witnessed significant technological advancements that have fundamentally transformed the way of life (i.e. mobile phones). However, technology can also have adverse effects, potentially disempowering or working against human interests. Have you ever encountered such an experience?
- Top Prize (1 winner): Two round-trip airline tickets to Tokyo in the summer of 2024 for the winner and a guarantor. A visit to ICU will be incorporated into the trip. In lieu of the airline tickets, the top prize winner has the option of receiving 100,000 yen.
- Second Prize (1 winner): 50,000-yen gift card.
- Third Prize (10 winners): A book translated by ICU students Illustrated Universal Declaration of Human Rights in French, English, and Japanese.
- Special Prize (1 winner) for those who have not been educated in English for more than 1 year: same as 3rd prize.
- Applicants must be aged 14-18 as of October 12, 2023 (inclusive) and must currently reside outside of Japan. University/college students as of October 12, 2023 are ineligible to apply.
- Language: Essays must be written in English.
- Word Limit: No more than 650 words, excluding essay title and bibliography.
- Essay Title: Essays must have a title. Please create a title that best describes the essence of your essay. The title does not count towards the word limit.
For more information, visit International Christian University (ICU)
Deadline: 12 October 2023