These scholarships are offered in memory of Joel Joffe, who was Nelson Mandela’s lawyer in the 1963/4 Rivonia Trial. He played a crucial role in the struggle for democracy in South Africa. The Trust continues to build on his legacy, inspiring others to do as much as possible to realise human rights and reduce poverty.
Canon Collins Trust invites applications from current 3rd year students (going into their 4th year in 2024) studying for an LLB at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare. We will provide funding of R40,000 towards the last year of your LLB studies, an opportunity to enhance your academic and leadership skills through organised events and a paid internship at a public interest law firm for approximately five months after your graduation. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to complete their internship at either the Equal Education Law Centre or the Legal Resources Centre.
Study the application guidelines here.
Are you eligible?
Applicants must be:
- a national of, and normally resident in, South Africa
- in possession of a strong academic record and extra-curricular involvement
- a current undergraduate 3rd year student of Law at the University of .
Please apply only if you are eligible and meet ALL of the above criteria.
What we offer
The Joel Joffe scholarship includes:
- R40,000 towards the last year of your LLB study
- a paid internship at Equal Education Law Centre or Legal Resources Centre after the completion of LLB study
- an opportunity to enhance your academic and leadership skills through organised events
We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is at 15:00 GMT on 9 October 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
Please do not email us to ask about the outcome of your application. All notifications will be by email so please make sure you provide an accurate email address.